There are people out there who will tell you that search engine optimization (SEO) is dead. These people are wrong. At least 93% of all internet experiences are started with a search engine search. Moreover, the average person never looks past the first page of the search results. If you want your digital media marketing plan to be successful, you need to make sure your website comes up on top in these searches.
- Get the right keywords. When you are working out your SEO plan, you need to pick the right keywords for your business. Google is, by far, the most dominant search engine in use today, They change up their logarithms and methods for indexing sites all of the time. In recent years, this has meant that keywords are no longer the “king of the hill” in terms of SEO but they remain an important factors and finding what works best for your is a crucial part of your plan. More and more, people are also looking for businesses by location. The number of people who use the “near me” button when doing a Google search has increased dramatically. You should include your location in your keywords that you use. For instance, if you handle SEO services in Michigan, “SEO Michigan” might be a more effective keyword phrase than just “SEO services.” You will be forever changing and tweaking the terms you use.
- Make your site look great on mobile. In 2013, the number of people who access the internet from their mobile devices surpassed those using other technology for the first time. This number is only expected to grow. When people are out and about, they turn to their mobile technology to get the products and services they need and use. If your site does not load well on mobile devices, you will lose a lot of your business. It is that important.
- Use images and video. It is probably a given that people’s attention span is pretty short. Using digital media all over your website and in your social media can make a big difference. You need text to let Google index your page but you also need people to be interested in your website. Digital media is a great tool for making your website more interesting. You should include your keywords in the descriptions and names of all your digital media. This helps search engines find you easier.
- Be active on social media. The thing about social media is that it is just that. It is social. Use your keywords and add in some digital media to your posts. Google indexes tweets and Facebook posts so you can make sure they have more traction when you use your keywords in all of your posts. There are some tools you can use to automate some of your social media interactions but you have to spend some time on this, too. It is a great way to interact with your customers and clients and even provide stellar customer service.
- Consider buying ads. You can get a lot of traction and not have to spend a lot of money on well places Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn Ads. You can see an impact that your ads have on your business and your marketing efforts making this a great way to track your progress and reach more people.
- Tell your story. Behind every brand, there is a story. Use your social media platforms and your website to connect with your audience, raise awareness of your brand and grow your customer or client base. People shop at Whole Foods because of the story and the branding they have done as much as anything. Your business and brand are unique and you should use that to your advantage.
- Put your keywords everywhere. They should be places in the meta descriptions, URL, content names, content itself and all over the site. When you add digital media, put your keywords in the descriptions. When it comes to your keywords, the more is really the merrier.
Despite what some SEO marketers will tell you, this is not brain surgery. With some effort, you can use SEO techniques to grow your business.